Hiking the Slot to the Lake


Wednesday, March 20th
The two youngest wait in the slot
Cooling off at the lake
The temperature has dropped 10 degrees (only in the 80s now) and a white haze shields the sun. We pack lunch and head to the park to do the full canyon slot trail right to the lake. I head out with the two youngest; the two oldest are taking a hilly, mountainous detour on their bikes and will meet us there. My husband has driven back to the condo as he forgot the water.  We read the signs. Watch for diamondback rattlesnakes and blue scorpionweed flowers. Both are deadly—the signs warn us not to touch. This is good information and I am now curious why my husband presented me with a delicate bouquet the day before yesterday? I placed them behind my ear and tucked them in my cleavage (that’s an overstatement--placed next to my heart would be more appropriate). We have been married for over three decades and he gives me poisonous flowers. Till death do us part takes on new meaning. The route is spectacular. The hills are covered with blooming yellow bushes and pink cacti.
Blooming cacti covered hills
The canyon itself is moulded rock, smooth, slick and sensuous.  We do the seven-footer natural slide again. The crack in the mountain opens up just as mysteriously as it appeared. We walk through the gravelled wash. The 17 year old beats us to the secret cove and goes swimming. I dip in the lake too.
The deserted cove
The others soak their hats and t-shirts before the trek back. We take 4.5 hours. We meet up with the two oldest at the van. They too have danced near death. The oldest came screaming around a hill right up to a diamondback, coiled round with neck and head up, ready to strike. He hears the unmistakeable sound of hissing and rattling. My son brakes and backs up. The 14-year old arrives behind him. He captures a picture. They take a wide detour. I have to see the photo to believe it. 

By Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment