Stunning Antelope Canyon


Sunday, March 23rd
The youngest coming through the slot
My husband has wanted to travel here for over 14 years. We have finally made it and Antelope Canyon is unbelievably spectacular. Even the two oldest are pulling out their iPhones and taking shots at every turn. The light is breathtaking. The curved and coloured sandstone walls glow. I take pictures on my blackberry. Our guide takes turns showing each of us with our cameras how to catch the lighting just right and now our pictures are so-o-o-o much better. We have taken the Lower Antelope Canyon tour (rather than Upper) as it is more rugged with lots of ladders to climb. We know that this makes the tour less crowded and less like a Disney experience. We couldn’t have chosen better. It was truly a wondrous morning.
We spend the rest of the afternoon driving to neighbouring scenic lookouts. Each of these stops has a short hike and leads to a magnificent backdrop. We are shutterbugs trying to capture and hold on to the moments. It is futile as the youngest ones run ahead, move, jump and slide on the sandstone. We simply can not get anyone to stop still. The whole family is rarely in a shot.
As the afternoon ends, it is time for bootcamp. I ride the other side of the Rim Trail along the Mesa edge with the two oldest. Again, I am not comfortable with cliffs and the river curbing blue below. The ride is challenging and I am walking too much. When we finish back at the motel I drop the bike and head out for an easy 30 minute run. I am tired already from the ride and pushing the bike but adding the run back-to-back makes for another brick workout. I run the Rim Edge trail and I am totally comfortable on my two feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment